Annual Camp 2017 “Youth in Action Building Our Nation Hand in Hand with JCCF”
“Youth in Action Building Our Nation Hand in Hand with JCCF”
The Jamaica Combined Cadet Force is no ordinary youth organization; it caters to the total development of Jamaica’s youth who are desirous of having fun and adventure while making a difference to their fellowmen, and so the 2017 Force Camp being held during the period July 15 – 29, 2017 at Munro College, St. Elizabeth, under the theme “Youth in Action, Building our Nation” sets out to do just that.
Approximately Six Hundred (600) Cadets and Two Hundred (200) Adult Instructors, Officers and Support Staff are expected to be in attendance focusing on the development of the leadership skills of the cadets while exposing them to various disaster relief and rehabilitation training which will be conducted by the Office of Disaster Preparedness Emergency Management (ODPEM) in addition to watermanship - Watermanship Training (inclusive of basic swimming techniques and kayaking) will be conducted at Great Bay Swimming Beach.
While on the Camp, the JCCF will embark on three Community Projects:
1. Renovation of public bathroom- Great Bay, St Elizabeth. The renovation includes painting, plumbing and basic maintenance.
2. Renovation and mentorship at the Mannings Boys Home (Operated by CDA. The JCCF will also encourage musical enthusiasm and enhance the Boys’ musical skills. Cadets will also play music on the day.
3. Restoration of the Home of an Elderly man (Aged 61) whose house was damaged and his belongings lost in a fire. Assistance has been sought from the Member of Parliament.
In addition, various communities within the parish of St. Elizabeth will benefit from the cadets’ presence through activities such as a mini street concert on Saturday, July 22 in the Junction Town Square where the musical repertoire of the Jamaica Combined Cadet Force will be on display. Following that will be Open Day on Sunday, July 23, where there will be yet another display of cadetting prowess as they demonstrate skills in tactical search and rescue among other thrilling activities. The Jamaica Defence Force (JDF), Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF), Jamaica Fire Brigade, The Department of Correctional Services, JDF Credit Union, Courts, HEART Trust NTA, among others, will have display booths catering to the curious onlooker as well as the learned specialist and even those who want to relive their youth.
Grooming and etiquette is an integral part of being a cadet, and theory becomes practice on Friday, July 28, in the form of a Three Course Meal where the Guest Speaker will be Senator the Hon Pearnel Charles, Jr., Minister of State in the Ministry of National Security. ‘Remarks’ will also be given by Honourable Franklin Witter, Deputy Speaker for Houses of parliament.
Some of the special invited guests to the camp are as follows:
1. His Excellency, the Most Honourable Sir Patrick Allen, Governor General of Jamaica
ON, GCMG, CD, KST.J,
2. The Honourable Andrew Holness, O.N., M.P., Prime Minister of Jamaica
3. Honourable Robert Montague, CD Minister of National Security
4. Senator the Hon Ruel Reid Minister of State in the Ministry of Education Youth & Information
5. Senator the Hon Pearnel Charles, JR Minister of State in The Ministry of National Security
6. The Honourable Franklin Witter, M.P. J.P. Deputy Speaker for Houses of parliament
7. Major General Rocky Meade, OD, Chief of Defence Staff
JP, PhD, MMAS. MA, BA (Hons) psc Jamaica Defence Force